wiiuse Forums

Last visit was: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:55 am It is currently Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:55 am

All times are UTC

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: libogc rolls out wiimote support
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:23 pm 
Developer

Shagkur has been working pretty hard on porting the lwbt bluetooth stack and wiiuse to the Wii, and making them work in combination. It seems as though the day has come, and wiiuse is now part of libogc (it's in the CVS). Wiimote support should now be stable and ready for integration into homebrew apps. Wiimote support is exposed in libogc as a set of WPAD_ functions.

Shagkur did all the work here -- from porting lwbt, to choosing wiiuse as the wiimote support, to making significant core modifications to the wiiuse library to make it compatable with the bluetooth stack. Thanks to all his hard work, it's awesome to see wiiuse being used on an even wider variety of platforms and benefiting even more developers.

There is still an issue with the Y coordinate from the pointing system (ir.y). I will take a look at this and get a fix submitted asap. Until it is fixed, you might try using the first IR dot (ir.dot[0].x/y). There may also be an issue with the IR cursor being a little rough (first noticed in dhewg's scummvm port). I hope to fix this, or at least improve it, soon. There are also some other minor features that are missing from wiiuse in general that I would like to begin working on as well; in particular Mii and Balance Board support (I don't have a board yet being here in the states).

Big thanks to Shagkur and dhewg for the development work and the testing.

If you notice any bugs other than what was said here, please let me know.

Post subject: Re: libogc rolls out wiimote support
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:11 am 

Kudos to Shagkur and the wiiuse developers for all the great work! However, I tried this yesterday with the current devkitPPC R14 and libogc from CVS, and it didn't work. Shagkur and I determined this must be devkitPPC's fault, because the same code worked when compiled on his machine and didn't work when compiled on mine.

I tried to grab devkitPPC from CVS too, but it's no longer in the tree on Sourceforge. Does anyone know where I can find recent devkitPPC sources (or Mac G4 binaries) so I can try this on my Wii?

[EDIT] BTW, I have some Kalman filtering code available that could be used to smooth the pointer position a lot. If anyone is interested, just PM me.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:28 pm 
Developer

bjoerngiesler wrote:
Kudos to Shagkur and the wiiuse developers for all the great work! However, I tried this yesterday with the current devkitPPC R14 and libogc from CVS, and it didn't work. Shagkur and I determined this must be devkitPPC's fault, because the same code worked when compiled on his machine and didn't work when compiled on mine.

I tried to grab devkitPPC from CVS too, but it's no longer in the tree on Sourceforge. Does anyone know where I can find recent devkitPPC sources (or Mac G4 binaries) so I can try this on my Wii?

[EDIT] BTW, I have some Kalman filtering code available that could be used to smooth the pointer position a lot. If anyone is interested, just PM me.

I'm definitely interested in the filtering code, shoot me an email at thepara[at]gmail[--dot--]com or jump on IRC.

As for compiling, what you are experiencing is usual. Wintermute is in the middle of a release cycle and r15 isn't out yet -- r15 is required to compile the libogc CVS. I had mentioned it was in the CVS to let everyone know that a stable wiiuse release was coming, and that it would now be built into libogc so there is no reason to try to find an unsupported port anymore. Just give it some time and let him work out the release :)

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:24 pm 

[quote="bjoerngiesler"][EDIT] BTW, I have some Kalman filtering code available that could be used to smooth the pointer position a lot. If anyone is interested, just PM me.[/quote]

I am interested also, though cannot find the PM facilities on this forum (???), would you be able to email it to ?
Thanks in advance. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:42 pm 

[quote="Rhys"]I am interested also, though cannot find the PM facilities on this forum (???), would you be able to email it to ?
Thanks in advance. :)[/quote]

Para & I chatted about this yesterday. I'm going to submit it to wiiuse as soon as I can test it on my Wii.

This will happen as soon as I can actually test the Wiimote with my Wii, which will be when Wintermute releases the new devkitPPC release.

@Para: Any news on that?

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:55 am 

[quote="bjoerngiesler"]Para & I chatted about this yesterday. I'm going to submit it to wiiuse as soon as I can test it on my Wii.[/quote]

Great, looking forward to the new version, hope its soon as i have a project due on June 16th which is currently using wiiuse and would look much nicer with a smoother IR cursor.

[ 6 posts ]